Kundalini Yoga Meditation
Special Healing Meditation
In addition to morning sadhana, as a part of it, or as an evening meditation here is a meditation that can be done for 5, 11, 22 or 31-minutes. This is a very blissful meditation that keeps you in your body. When you need help chant this mantra. Vibrating with this mantra produces healing, magic and miracles. Now that is a handy channel to tune into! Enjoy!
Sit in easy pose, with hands on the lap, right on top of left. Sit absolutely still for this meditation for the full effects. Chant very quietly, in monotone, almost, but not a whisper, with the lips, so you feel a vibration in the lips:
GURU, GURU, WA HE GURU, GURU RAM DAS GURU.
Chant the words in each of the chakras. Bring your attention to the specific chakra, but do not move your body. (Tip-Guru is vibrated in every chakra except 3rd and 6th.)
Guru - 1st, base of spine
Guru - 2nd, sex organ, abdomen
Wa He - 3rd, navel
Guru - 4th, heart
Guru - 5th, throat
Ram Das -6th, third eye
Guru - 7th, crown, top of head
Shabad Kriya – Bedtime Meditation
Yogi Bhajan gave us the following meditation to practice before going to bed. If practiced on a regular basis, once a week or even every night, your sleep will be deep and relaxed. The control of the rhythm of the breath strengthens the nervous system and regenerates the nerves. After a few months, the rhythm of your breath will be subconsciously regulated and eventually you will internally chant the mantra while you are sleeping. You may wake up to the internal chant of the mantra and hear it in your daily activities. You will think better, work better, share better and love better. "There cannot be enough praise of the meditation's effect on the personality. It gives the mind the power to stretch to infinity, promotes radiance, patience and practical universality."
(Relax and Renew - Guru Rattana, Ph.D. - p. 118)
This is a good meditation to do to recover from fatigue caused by normal daily stress, travel and even jet lag.
MUDRA - HAND POSITION
Sit in Easy Pose with a straight spine. Hands are in the lap in Buddha Mudra: palms up, right hand resting on top of left. The thumbs touch and face forward.
The eyes focus at the tip of the nose with the eyes about 9/10th closed. There are several ways to facilitate looking at the tip of the nose. Bring your forefinger in front of your face and look at it. Keep looking at the forefinger and slowly bring the forefinger to the tip of the nose.
To facilitate the concentration at the tip of the nose, do the following exercise. Bring the arms out to your sides parallel to the ground, palms up. Do Breath of Fire for 1-3 minutes. This exercise balances the right and left hemispheres of the brain, which makes it easier to maintain the focus of the two eyes.
The eyes focused at the tip of the nose causes the optic nerves to cross at the third eye. Thus it is easier to bring your mental focus to the third eye while the eyes are directed at the tip of the nose. Both the pineal and the pituitary glands and the area between them are stimulated by this eye posture, which has the effect of breaking old habits and creating new ones.
Breathing and Mantra:
Inhale 4 equal parts through the nose, i.e. the inhale is divided into 4 sniffs. Mentally vibrate SA TA NA MA with the four parts of the inhale breath.
Hold the breath and mentally repeat 4 repetitions of SA TA NA MA. This will be 16 counts
SA TA NA MA SA TA NA MA SA TA NA MA SA TA NA MA
Then exhale in 2 equal strokes, mentally projecting WAHE GURU
WAHE GURU means ecstasy. WAHE GURU is the result of integrating SAT NAM into the psyche. When we experience the Truth, we feel ecstasy.
Continue for 11, 15, 22, 31 or even 62 minutes. This meditation will often put you to sleep before you complete the allotted time.
Meditation to get out of Depression
The following Kundalini Yoga meditation is on page 135 of my book Relax and Renew, which contains many meditations to relieve stress and depression. Yogi Bhajan taught it in 1979. This meditation totally recharges you and is an antidote to depression. It builds a new biochemical system, gives one capacity and caliber to deal with life, and establishes a direct relationship with the pranic body.
"I have found this to be a very quick and powerful way to change my emotional state. It seems particularly effective against depression and sadness, and just three minutes can completely alter my state of mind. Another nice thing about this meditation is that it is a quiet one, so I can easily duck into a bathroom stall and, in just a few minutes, raise my consciousness and prepare for something new or recover from something trying." - Sadhant Singh
Sit in Easy Pose with a straight spine, extend the arms straight ahead, parallel to the ground. Close the right hand in a fist, wrapping fingers of the left hand around it, bases of palms touching, thumbs together and pulled up straight. Eyes are focused on the thumbs.
Inhale for 5 seconds, and, without holding the breath in, exhale for 5 seconds, and then hold the breath out for 15 seconds. Continue the cycle, starting with 3-5 minutes and working up to 11. Progress slowly. You can also work up to holding the breath out for 1 full minute.
Set to Open the Heart and to Remove Negativity
Here is a short Kundalini Yoga set that works on opening the heart center.
(1) Clasp fingers in Venus Lock, but curl Mercury (little) and Sun (ring) fingers into the palms instead of crossing them. Then hook left Saturn (middle) finger over right Sun (ring) finger and pull, hard. Focus at the 3rd Eye, continuously pulling hard on the finger lock for 1-3 minutes. Removes anger and enthrones the neutral mind.
Keep the breath in the solar plexus and feel the energy and sensations there.
(2) Fit base of palms under the cheek bones and push as hard as you can for 1-3 minutes. It doesn't have to hurt, but if it does, you have the right spot. It actually takes stress out of the head and gives you a glowing complexion. You are so happy when it is over!
(3) Grasp left wrist with the right hand and pull the left arm as far to the right as possible, and then some more!, for 1-3 minutes. Removes tension across shoulder blades.
This exercise opens up the back and heart and connects the energy of the arms and hands with the heart. This and exercise_(4) are good exercises for symptoms of carpal tunnel and numbing of the arms and hands. These conditions are partly caused by blocked energy between the hands, arms and heart.
(4) Make wrist lock behind the back with the hands touching the spine and try to bring elbows together. Pull! Arch the spine forward and apply chin lock for 1-3 minutes. Raises energy up the spine and elevates you!
This is a fabulous exercise to do many times a day. You can open your heart from the back. Feel your shoulder blades move down and together. A lot of stress, which is blocked heart-center energy, will be released. Enjoy!
Meditation to Connect with the Earth
Tuning into the energy of the Earth is enhanced while the Sun is in Taurus, Virgo or Capricorn. Cultivating the earth element requires attention to the sensations in the body, to the feet and legs, and to the first chakra or base of the spine. Paying attention to the feeling of gravity and its pull on the body toward the Earth is very useful. The goal is to experience a heaviness that becomes a feeling of stability and stillness.
Working with the first chakra part of Rootlock is a very powerful way to connect with the body and the Earth. The following exercise gives you energy and relaxes the nerves:
(1) Sit in easy pose. Inhale, hold the breath in. Pull and release the anus and perineum 3 or more times. Exhale. Repeat for 1 or more minutes.
(2) Inhale, exhale, hold the breath out. Pull and release the anus and perineum 3 or more times. Inhale. Repeat for 1 or more minutes.
(3) Inhale, exhale, hold the breath out and pull and relax the anus and perineum 3 times. Inhale, hold the breath in and pull and relax the anus and perineum 3 times. Alternate for 1 or more minutes. Stretch legs between exercises as needed.
(4) To end, unite with energy of the Earth and feel the nurturing energy from Mother Earth raising up your spine. Let go, if only for an instant. The union between Earth and Universal Spirit happens when you let go. The union cleanses stress and negativity. Practicing first chakra Rootlock when you are thinking too much or afraid, helps release fear by connecting you to your physical source and by activating your own energy.
Be sure to gently pull the muscles at the anus with the intention of connecting with and receiving energy up from the core of Mother Earth. You will know when you get it, because Her energy is real!